Skip to main content

Week 2 Summary (04/22/1957 - 04/28/1957)

Week 2 is in the books and with a reminder that it is still early, several teams have made power moves up towards the top of the standings. There were two grand slams this week and two different pitchers reached the fifteen strikeout mark in a game, but the big news was that St. Louis starter Lindy McDaniel threw a no-hitter on Sunday (game one of the doubleheader in Chicago). I still don’t have any earthly clue as to why I have so many no-hitters - I had six in my 1930 replay alone. It's the computer game, so it's not like I am fudging dice rolls or anything. I am using actual lineups … perhaps since I am not making any on-the-fly lineup adjustments the teams are somehow inherently weaker? It is puzzling. Exciting, but puzzling.

 

1957 Milwaukee Braves

The most interesting team so far is Pittsburgh, currently sitting in first place in the NL, a game ahead of both Cincinnati and Philadelphia. The Pirates won 6-of-7 versus the Dodgers in weeks one and two, a surprise to the rest of the league and especially to the Dodgers. The Pirates are currently right in the middle of the league in hitting but lead the league in pitching and mixed in with their above-average fielding and timely hitting so far have sent notice they are a team to be reckoned with. We'll see how long this lasts of course, but the Pittsburgh fans are happy with their fast start.

 

Milwaukee Manager Fred Haney
Philadelphia and Cincinnati are both right on Pittsburgh's tail and if the Pirates should falter they both stand ready to move up. The success of these three teams has kind of bottled up Milwaukee and St. Louis in fourth and fifth place, but they have both started to play better recently. Brooklyn, currently in sixth place, is going to make their own charge up the standings sooner or later, and likely sooner. New York and Chicago are doing pretty much what they were expected to do.

 

The White Sox are atop of the AL standings by percentage points, while Detroit is ahead by a half-game otherwise. While both teams are off to hot starts the Yankees and the Red Sox are lurking right behind them and these two powerhouses are able to make a move of their own at any time. Baltimore is the best of the rest, but I am not sure any of the remaining four are going to look to be doing anything except being spoilers for those in the top half of the standings.

 

The replay is going well. There were only seven shutouts this week, as opposed to the eleven that occurred last week. Not sure that I have an explanation for this either. That's a lot, no matter how you look at it. My sacrifice attempts, stolen base attempts, and intentional walks are still lagging, but they made good strides this past week as far as catching up. I am forcing myself to situationally sacrifice, steal, and intentionally walk a batter once in every game - not both teams, but just per game. It is helping.

 

We are starting to see injuries start to appear and there are several trades on the horizon. We will be in May in a matter of days so play marches on. The Midwest contingents from both leagues will be moving eastward to begin their first east coast swing.



Note: I neglected to credit these photos last week but these are the ones I am using as stadium backdrops in his replay. This one can be found here: https://pixels.com/featured/county-stadium-1958-gary-grigsby.html. There is a large selection of stadiums, different decades, all teams, very nice.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1957 Team-by-Team Recap

Background This replay was completed using BBW 5.75 and a 1957-3R season disk. Actual gameplay started in mid-June 2020 and completed in mid-January 2021, so seven months to complete the regular season. There were probably 2-3 months of set-up and pre-season work time put in before gameplay started, but I haven’t actually played the World Series yet, so I am not quite done. If you want to just round it off and say it took me a year to complete, that is fine with me.   The 1957 disk and cards are actually a 3R set or a third revision. I do like the revised sets. Every player is carded (or disked), the cards include the Master Game symbols, and the offensive, defensive, and pitching numbers have been adjusted according to the current algorithms. The changes are not drastic, but I do think they even out some of the rough edges, especially in the area of pitching grades. I previously completed a replay using the 1949-R disk previously and was pleased with the outcome just as I wa...

Week 8 Summary (06/03/1957 - 06/09/1957)

Week eight is in the books and the season has reached its one-third point. Several teams have surpassed the 50-games-played mark, most will be there in a few more days, and by the end of the week all will be there (the Cubs are the ones lagging behind). The Chicago White Sox (37-10) continue to have an amazing season. They finally got their tenth loss of the season this past week and are still playing just under .800 ball. They win big, they win small, they win early, they win late, they just keep winning. Luis Aparicio got off to a slow start (as he did in 1957) and Larry Doby has missed most of the past two weeks … no matter. They don’t have anyone truly hitting way over their head and they are always willing to share the spotlight and let different players come through with the clutch hit - as they repeatedly do.   Detroit (32-18) is off to a good start, actually have a 4-3 record versus the White Sox, but still find themselves 6.5 games out of first. New York (27-21) le...

1957 Replay Preparation

Now that my 1901 replay is complete (also see 1930 , 1949 ) it is time to start prep work for my 1957 replay. I am not in a particular hurry to get this started, but I do have a list that I work through, basically one step at a time, as part of my replay preparation: The 1957 3R disk and card sets were ordered from APBA earlier this year. I will be using APBA Baseball for Windows (BBW) for the replay, so I didn’t really need the cards, but I do like to flip through them, and besides, I worry about the game company and want to do my bit to help keep them in business. Further, I like to encourage the game company to keep revising and reissuing of old sets. Many years have passed since this set was originally released and new stats have been gathered to fill in some of those historical holes plus the game company has revised some of its formulas over time as well, and the re-released sets now include every player, which I prefer. My 1949 repl...